It's no secret that Fall in Texas revolves around Friday nights and Texas high school football. It's HUGE really, Texans are true football fanatics and it can unite a town like few things can. Gone are the days in our household when Friday nights revolved around our children and their involvement with the high school football games. We spent 10 wonderful years watching our children and cheering our local team to victories. 10 years of hectic Friday afternoons that quickly turned into fast-paced evenings without so much as a nibble. What's an already overloaded Mom to do when it comes to feeding her on-the-go family? For me, I learned to plan ahead, cook quickly and as early in the day as I could. We had NO time for a sit down dinner, it was grab and go - and quite frankly we were lucky if we had time for that! The Walking Tacos are possibly my family's favorite on the run meal. After I cook the taco meat I stir in a can of black or pinto beans and keep it warm and waiting in my slow cooker. I serve it up buffet style on the kitchen counter and it could not be any easier. The kids can assemble their tacos quickly and get out the door and I'm left with a great feeling knowing my kids won't be starving during the 4th quarter! Because in Texas, the game ain't over until the last note of the school song has been played!
THE WALKING TACOS
This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to fit your specific needs.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 package Taco Seasoning Mix, I use Old El Paso
- 1/2 cup water
- 6-8 snack sized bags of Fritos or Doritos
- An Assortment of Your Favorite Taco Toppings:
- Black Beans
- Lettuce, shredded
- Tomato, diced
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Salsa and/or Pico de Gallo
- Onion, chopped
- Brown beef and drain the fat.
- Add the taco seasoning mix along with 1/2 cup of water and simmer on low until water is absorbed.
- If not serving immediately, keep warm in a slow cooker.
- Spoon taco meat over chips in the bag and add your favorite taco toppings.
- Add a plastic fork and you're ready to go!
I hope you all have a wonderful Friday evening
and may your school's team be victorious!
~THE DOMESTIC CURATOR~