By definition the informal cottage garden doesn't look designed. In fact, they're usually exuberant, free-flowering and wilder, sometimes even unrestrained. Flowers tend to grow in drifts, creating a semi-wild appearance. Plants drop their seeds, popping up around the garden in little surprises of color. There is a succession of color as different blooms reveal themselves throughout the seasons.
Therefore, the informal cottage-garden-inspired arrangement is a casual bouquet of fresh-from-the-garden flowers that are exuberant, free-flowing and wild. These arrangements contain flowers of different shape, size, and color, mixing pinks, purples, coral, yellow, and chartreuse. Arrange these flowers loosely with different heights. Being care-free and somewhat 'scattered', these arrangements are easy to make because there ARE NO MISTAKES to be made. Informal cottage garden arrangements make stunning Summer florals for the home.
Summer blooms offer a perfect opportunity for informal arrangements.
Here are a few tips:
- To create informal arrangements, use unconventional containers to hold flowers and greenery.
- Use flowers and greenery like geranium leaves, snap dragons, yellow garden roses, astilbe, salvia, scabiosa, delphinium, and sweet peas.
- Begin with a bleach-sterilized container filled with fresh, cold water that's been enriched with cut-flower food or a floral preservative.
- Collect flowers from your garden early in the day when they contain the most moisture and are especially fragrant.
- Try to keep the height of the arrangement eye level. An easy way to determine the proper height is to make a fist, rest your elbow on the table, then hold your arm upright, and use the tip of your knuckles as an approximate limit.
- Avoid using artificial bases and supports, let the flower stems provide stability. Start with the most rigid flowers and edge the stems in at a tilt so each flower resembles a spoke in a wheel. Then, fill the extra space in the structure with more flowers.
- Select blooms in a wide-range of color tones, to provide a sense of unrestrained exuberance, in turn creating a romantic arrangement during the warm Summer months.
~THE DOMESTIC CURATOR~