Top a bed of fresh crunchy salad greens with thinly sliced red onion, grape tomatoes, fresh corn cut from the cob, red or yellow bell pepper, black beans, crumbled bacon and sharp cheddar cheese. They make excellent garnishes for a Southwestern salad tossed with this dressing. Quickly turn this simple salad from a side to a hearty meal by topping it with a grilled piece of chicken or fish. If you've never tried making your own salad dressing, you should - it's a wonderful taste explosion!
Creamy Avocado Ranch Dressing
Crisp lettuce like romaine and iceberg are a perfect match for this creamy salad dressing.
Use about 2 tablespoons per quart of greens.
MAKES 1 1/2 CUPS
- 1 ripe Haas Avocado, pitted, flesh scooped from skin
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco Hot Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Lime Juice
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 1/4 cup Hellman's Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced Red Onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped Fresh Cilantro
- 1 medium-sized Garlic Clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
WHAT TO DO
- In food processor, puree avocado, hot sauce and lime juice until avocado is completely broken down; about 30 seconds.
- Add remaining ingredients and process until dressing is completely smooth.