These wonderful, woodsy candles may test your carpentry skills, but they are well worth the effort. Beech and birch, both white and red, all work well and the effect, when you light these candles, is enchanting.
- Birch tree branches
- Tea lights, or LED candles
- Drill and 1 1/2 inch drill bit
- C clamp
- Using a saw, cut the branch into 4 pieces of varied lengths. We cut them at 8 inches, 6 inches and 4 inches. To ensure that each length stands steadily, plane the bottom end of each until level.
- Hold a branch piece steady by placing it vertically in the C clamp or vice. With an electric drill and a 1 1/2-inch wood-boring bit, drill a hole about 2 inches deep in the center of the branch end. Repeat this with the other pieces.
- Insert a candle into each hole and the candles are ready to light.
The Domestic Curator