This is it. This is my son's favorite dish. He requested it often while growing up. As a result, when he married, it is one of the many recipes he requested from dear ole Mom. Creamy and delicious, Spinach Tomato & Cheese Tortellini is a crowd-pleaser and loved by my family. I serve it with Parmesan Chicken Breast and a BIG salad! I hope it soon becomes one of your families favorites as well. ENJOY!
Spinach Tomato & Cheese Tortellini
Creamy spinach tomato sauce over cheese tortellini, and I'm in HEAVEN!
- 2 (9-oz.) pkg. refrigerated or 1 (19-oz.) pkg. frozen cheese-filled tortellini
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pkg. (16 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, slightly drained*
- 1 can (14 oz.) petite chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
WHAT TO DO
- Cook tortellini to desired doneness as directed on package. Drain; cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion and garlic; cook about 4 minutes or until tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add spinach, tomato, basil, salt and pepper; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in whipping cream and cheese. Cook until mixture just comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; stir in cooked tortellini. Cook an additional 4 to 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. If desired, serve with additional Parmesan cheese.