Hello, my name is Ronda, and I'm addicted to lemons. Seriously. I will eat them on or in just about anything and sometimes all by themselves, I even added a squirt of lemon juice to my bowl of oatmeal this morning. I received my new Southern Living magazine yesterday in the mail, and the cover proclaimed 'easy Lemon dessert recipes'. With the promises of lemony delights inside, I tore into that puppy quick. Reading through the recipes and seeing those mouthwatering photos appealed to my inner lemon-lover and inspired me to make one of my favorite made-from-scratch lemon desserts. It's a simple small cake, just the right size for a couple of empty nesters - who happen to be having the time of their lives! It's extremely light and tart with a velvety texture. So I say, MORE EVERYTHING - AND I'LL HAVE MINE WITH LEMON ON TOP! It puts a zing in my step!
LADIES LEMONY CRICKET CAKE
MAKES 1 LOAF
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream, room temperature
- grated peel of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
WHAT TO DO
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Either grease and flour a 9" X 5" loaf pan OR line it with non-stick foil.
- In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder and baking soda and set aside.
- In a large bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce speed, and add eggs one at a time, just until blended.
- On low add flour mixture alternately with sour cream, beating until well mixed. Add lemon peel, mix in.
- Pour batter into loaf pan. Bake 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Mix all three ingredients in a small saucepan and place over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer 5-7 minutes, or until glaze coats the back of spoon.
- Spoon glaze over hot cake. It will look like a lot of glaze, but pour all of it over the cake - it's what makes this cake ALL LEMON!
There are some great recipes to be found in the new Southern Living,
if you are a lover of lemon as well pick up a copy today, you'll be glad ya did!
~THE DOMESTIC CURATOR~