It's been kind of a lazy day over here at the Porter household. E has been studying and digging through her brother's closet - aka the guest bedroom - for her scrubs. Micro-biology lab awaits her. Mr.P has come in early from meeting with clients and I have, well I have been washing the college students dirty laundry - she's heading back to school after dinner. Being such a quiet lazy day, I decided to cook up some of our favorite soup, Bacon Cheeseburger. I haven't made this soup since last winter and totally forgot how amazing it is. This soup makes quite a bit and is enough to feed a crowd. Since I don't have a crowd, it will be feeding my freezer and Mr.P and me for weeks to come. This is a must make soup during the cooler months of the year. It is absolutely delicious and creamy with bacon. Did I mention that it has bacon in it? I love anything with bacon and cheese! It is such a hearty soup that the entire family will love!
BACON CHEESEBURGER SOUP
MAKES 8 BIG BOWLS
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¾ cup shredded or diced carrots
- ¾ cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¾ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Brown the ground beef in 3 quart saucepan. Drain and set aside.
- In the same saucepan add 1 T butter and add onion, garlic, shredded carrots, parsley flakes, basil and celery. Saute until tender.
- Add the broth, potatoes and beef and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In small skillet melt remaining butter (3 T) and add the flour. Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly. Add to the soup and bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Stir in the cheese, milk, heavy cream salt and pepper. Cook and stir until cheese melts. Stir in the cooked and crumbled bacon. Remove from heat and blend in sour cream.
Make a pot of this Bacon Cheeseburger Soup on a Saturday. Keep it warm in your Crock-Pot and you won't have to cook another thing the rest of the weekend!
~THE DOMESTIC CURATOR~