Whenever my parents come to town we - the family - go out to dinner. Most often we head to our favorite Mexican food restaurant, but this past Monday we ended up at Jason's Deli. It was a rainy cold night here in North Texas and we were in search of warm soup. It's been awhile since I've been to Jason's Deli and had gone entirely TOO long without some of their wonderfully famous Gingerbread Muffins. I ask you, "Is there anything better than HOT gingerbread muffins on a cold rainy night?" Well I don't know about you but it was just what I needed, warm and spicy they made me feel better all over. I immediately came home and started looking for a version of this recipe and here's what I found. I already have a fantastic gingerbread recipe, but there's something different about these muffins. They are dark and sticky sweet with a hint of exotic spices. Now I know that sounds REALLY over-the-top flowerdy, but if you've ever eaten these muffins I'm sure you'll agree. Check out the recipe below and see if you don't agree. If your interested here is my children's favorite gingerbread - it is out of this world good as well! Either way you WON'T be sorry for trying them! Have fun my friends!
The taste of Christmas and the comfort of home all in one muffin.
MAKES 24 MuffinsINGREDIENTS
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Spray/butter muffin tins; set aside.
- Combine sugar, flour, soda, salt and spices in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the egg, molasses, milk, and butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just blended.
- Add to muffin tins, about 3/4 full. Adding the batter to a Ziploc bag and snipping the corner is an easy almost mess-free way to fill tins.
- Bake for 15 minutes. If making normal sized muffins, it’ll be more like 20 minutes. Muffins are done when a toothpick comes out clean.
**Of course you could make these as normal sized muffins or even a whole loaf, but it's just not the same!
....and this is how I eat these sweet little gems....
~THE DOMESTIC CURATOR~