We are in the midst of the 'wedding season' here at Porter Central. Our niece, Kristin in getting married to her Leo in just a few short weeks; E's best friend, Callie is marrying her Jeremy during Christmas Break; and our one and only much-loved son is getting married to his sweetheart in the New Year. Needless to say we are overloaded with all things wedding related. Which brings me to this simple common sense article for 'what happens after the wedding ceremony'. The things we say have a big impact on our marriages. Men - ladies don't take offense, I'm writing this from my point of view - sometimes get the reputation for being the less communicative sex, but that doesn't mean they don't thrive on affirming words from their wives. Whether or not your husband is begging for verbal affection, here are ten compliments that your husband NEEDS to hear.
- "I'm so glad I married you." Men need to feel secure in marriage, and the fastest way to let your husband know he's still the one, is to tell him outright. This is a great compliment because it can come completely out of the blue, without him having to do anything to earn it. Spontaneous compliments feel genuine and sincere.
- "I love how you provide for our family." Men hold themselves to a high standard when it comes to providing, and they need you to acknowledge their efforts. Let your husband know that he doesn't have to make millions to still make you happy.
- "I'm so proud of you." You'll get far in marriage being your husband's greatest cheerleader. In a world that continuously knocks him down, be the one to always lift him up. He'll notice, I promise.
- "You're such a great daddy." If you have kids, praise your husband for his involvement with the family. Modern society often tells dads that they come second to mom, so let him know he's a valuable asset to your family.
- "You're so handsome." Your husband needs to know you love the way he looks, even after a few years and a few extra pounds. Many men send and receive love through touch and physical intimacy, so complimenting his body is one of the fastest ways to show him love in a way he understands.
- "Thanks for fixing the broken dryer." Whenever your husband plays Mr. Fix-It around the house, compliment his efforts. He needs to feel capable, especially when he's taking care of you.
- "Thanks for the help around the house." Chances are you have your own way of doing things and you may not want him messing up your system, but when your husband pitches in thank him sincerely, regardless of whether he folds the sheets the "right" way.
- "You can always make me laugh." Let your husband know that he lightens up your day and brings positive energy into your household. Even if your husband isn't the ha-ha funny type, you can still compliment his stellar smile.
- "You're so strong." The next time your husband lifts a heavy load of laundry, bat your eyelashes a little and compliment his Superman-like strength, even if you could have done the task yourself. Husbands need to know they're good for something, and they certainly need to know they're good for you.
- "I love spending time with you." We all get caught up in the business of everyday life, so let your hubby know that you still love to simply hangout with him. After all, you'll be his best friend and constant companion forever.
These may not fit your particular 'husband', if not sit down and make a list tailored-made for your man. Just remember men thrive on appreciation and admiration so take a little time today to thank the man in your life for all he does. It doesn't take much to make your husband's day, boost his confidence and make him want to lift you up in return!
~THE DOMESTIC CURATOR~