This zesty rice salad is chock full of brown rice, black beans and veggies - all things good for you! It could easily be a main dish as well as the wonderful Summer side that it is. The lime dressing infuses this salad with bright flavor while the colorful chopped peppers and tomatoes make it look like a party in a bowl. You would be hard pressed to find a Summer side dish that is any fresher or more full of flavor than Fiesta Rice Salad. Add grilled chicken strips and you've got a one-bowl meal that's fast, easy, delicious and healthy....how many things can you say that about? On occasion I have thrown in diced avocado just before serving. I like the creaminess it adds to the zesty lime dressing. This 'more-than-a-Summer-dish' gets an A+ in our house, hope your family loves it as well!
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1 can black bean, rinsed and drained
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
WHAT TO DO
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn kernels and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to brown (about 8-10 minutes).
- Stir in black beans, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together lime juice, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Stir in rice, making sure each grain is coated with the dressing.
- Add the corn and bean mixture and toss to combine. Let cool to room temperature.
- Add bell pepper, tomatoes, jalapeno, red onion and cilantro to the rice mixture and toss well.
- Taste for seasoning and serve immediately, or refrigerate for later.
- Bring to room temperature before serving.